Outstanding doctoral students from participating Bavarian universities can apply for the »BGPE Doctoral Student« status. This provides them with 1,000 Euro per year for research related expenditures, the opportunity to present their studies at BGPE workshops, and a BGPE certificate.
The deadline for the next application round for the "BGPE Doctoral Student" status is December 01, 2022. The selection committee chooses the best applicants. The chosen applicants are invited to present their research at the BGPE Research Workshop on January 26/27, 2023 in Augsburg. After the presentation they receive the "BGPE Doctoral Student" status based on a council resolution.
Below you find information about the status and the application process:
1. Doctoral students in economics from the participating Bavarian Universities (Augsburg, Bamberg, Bayreuth, Eichstätt-Ingolstadt, Erlangen-Nürnberg, LMU Munich, Passau, Regensburg, TU Munich, Würzburg) can earn the »BGPE Doctoral Student« status as an honors degree if they reached an exam score among the best participants (mentioned on the certificate) in at least one BGPE-course and successfully participated in the BGPE courses in Advanced Macroeconomics, Advanced Microeconomics, Advanced Econometrics (see Courses)
2. Application for the »BGPE Doctoral Student« status - including BGPE course certificates, curriculum vitae, university diploma, publication list, overview of conference participation and a 1-2 page description of the thesis project - are collected by the local organizers at the participating universities (see Council).
3. Applications are reviewed in two steps: first, the documents are screened and passed on to the BGPE selection committee. The selection committee chooses the best (about five) applicants twice a year. The closing date for each application round is announced on this site in time. It is possible to re-apply in the next application round if initial applications are not successful.
4. In the second step these best applicants are invited to present their strongest research at the BGPE Research Workshop (invitations are sent at least four weeks in advance). Only if the presentation convinces the BGPE council of its scientific quality applicants are awarded the Â»BGPE Doctoral StudentÂ« status by the BGPE council..
5. Connected to the »BGPE Doctoral Student« status is the provision of annual funding of up to 1.000 Euro for expenditures related to research (e.g., data, literature, conference travel) for 2 years, the opportunity to present own research at BGPE research workshops once a year and to participate in BGPE research workshops without paper presentation (expenses covered).